Helping You Permanently Discharge Debts through Bankruptcy

If you have lost your job, incurred substantial medical bills, gone through a divorce, can no longer afford your mortgage payments, are being sued, face serious financial problems for any reason, or you are simply unable to pay your bills, a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing may help you permanently discharge debts and get a fresh financial start. An experienced attorney can help you through the process. Because the bankruptcy laws have changed, and you have to qualify for protection under Chapter 7, you want a lawyer who knows the law and who has successfully protected the rights of other people in similar situations.

At the law office of James C. Reed, P.A., in Rehoboth Beach, I have provided Chapter 7 bankruptcy counsel to people throughout Delaware for over 20 years. My goal is to help you resolve your problems,so that you can move forward. I understand the stress and anxiety that accompanies most situations necessitating bankruptcy and work hard to be accessible when you need questions answered. I offer a free initial evaluation to every client. Contact my office or call me at 302-227-2477 to schedule an appointment.

I provide a free initial evaluation to every client. Send me an email or call my office at 302-227-2477 to set up an appointment.

My Chapter 7 Practice

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding, you are allowed to permanently discharge certain debts. Sometimes, non-exempt assets have to be sold, but most clients’ assets are exempt, so nothing is sold. For information about exempt property see the page regarding what property you can keep when filing for bankruptcy. Under the recent revisions to the bankruptcy laws, you must now qualify to file for protection under Chapter 7 by submitting to a “means test”. If you do not meet certain requirements for your income and expenses, you may only seek protection under Chapter 13. If you need all of your income to pay your living expenses, you probably qualify for Chapter 7.

In a typical Chapter 7 bankruptcy, my clients discharge most or all of their unsecured debts, and discharge secured debts for property that they do not want to keep, pay nothing to their creditors and keep everything that they own. An average case takes about four months from the date of filing to the discharge. The primary thing that you have to do is gather the information needed to file your petition.

I handle all matters related to Chapter 7 bankruptcy filings, preparing and submitting all the documents necessary to complete the process. I will also provide representation at all meetings with creditors, the trustee, or the court.

In addition to walking you through the means test to determine whether you are eligible for protection under Chapter 7, I will make certain you understand which debts can and cannot be discharged in Chapter 7, before you file. (Some debts, such as student loans, child support arrearages and certain tax obligations, cannot be discharged).

This site is intended for general information purposes and to give you some basic information about bankruptcy law. It is not legal advice. For legal advice you need to contact me and schedule an appointment, so that I can determine how the law applies to you and whether there are special circumstances or exceptions that apply in your case.

James C. Reed, P.A. is a debt relief agency. We help people get relief from their debts, including, where appropriate, filing for relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.